Credit: Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute is Australia’s longest-serving medical research, celebrating 100 years of discoveries for humanity in 2015.
Our researchers are leaders in understanding, preventing and treating diseases such as breast, blood, lung, ovarian and bowel cancers, diabetes, arthritis, coeliac disease, HIV and malaria.
Our discoveries have:
- reduced death from snakebite
- protected populations from influenza
- improved treatments for cancer patients worldwide
- revolutionised blood stem cell transplants
- led to clinical trials of novel vaccines and anti-cancer treatments.
Our scientists have advanced understanding of the human body, its response to disease and how to improve treatments and reduce suffering.